Charity link-up: pooling our fundraising to benefit a worthy cause
We each like to do our bit for charity here at the Brunel offices, but having started talking a few months ago about the various activities we had planned, we thought it might be a good idea to pool our collective charity resources together and try to make a real difference to a worthy local cause.
Children’s Hospital South West (CHSW) are the only hospice care in the region for children with life-limiting conditions. They were suggested to us as a cause worth supporting by a friend of our Managing Director, Damien, and having looked into the work they do, we couldn’t agree more.
For that reason, we’ve named CHSW as our nominated charity, and all of the charity work we do at Brunel from this point forward will involve raising funds for a cause that really does do some amazing work.
Currently looking after around 400 families, CHSW provides all sorts of care, from palliative, to emergency; to planned respite and a rare opportunity for a break. They also provide support for families who have suffered through the loss of their child.
CHSW have a hospice close to our own Bristol base and, as a smaller charity, we feel they’re really deserving of anything you might be able to donate. Here are just a few of the events that we’re hoping to run:
- You might have seen that Beccy has already run the Amsterdam marathon in aid of the charity (well done Beccy!). Beccy’s donation page on JustGiving is still open (over £600 raised so far!), so if you feel like you can support the cause right now, please do head here to donate whatever you can.
- In July, four of the team (Damien, Beccy, Steve and Andy) will be taking part in the ‘Ride for Precious Lives’, a major event each year for the hospice, which over the last 5 years has raised £335,000. The team will be riding between CHSW’s three sites, across three counties in three days, and we’ll have a donation page set up for this a little closer to the time.
- A contribution will be made to CHSW for every single Christmas card we send out this year – keep an eye on those letterboxes!
- All of the ‘small’ fundraising things we all do (recycling ink cartridges and mobile batteries, donating old clothes, etc.) are now being pooled together to benefit CHSW.
- The last Friday of every month, the Brunel team will be “dressing down” and making a small donation.
We’re looking into many more fundraising ideas as well and we would of course welcome both donations and ideas – so if you have something you think might work then please do get in touch through the usual channels.
We’re looking forward to dedicating our efforts this year and beyond to supporting CHSW and hope you’ll join us in getting behind this great cause!